Friday, March 28, 2008

Confesssion of a fat boy and the slimfast challenge.

So, I knew I was getting a little hefty. It has been a long winter with mostly sitting in class from 8am-4pm for excercise and then studying into the night. I get a fair amount of yoga in during the week but that has not been cutting it. Plus, I am down to about 3 days of skiing this winter from the norm of around 80-100.

So, I finally sacked up and got on the scale three days ago. 198! AHHH. I was down to 176 in Colorado, my all time low, just a winter ago. (My high was 210 in college when I was weight lifting and training for my collegiate sport a lot). What happened to me? Medical school happened. Apparently, this is a concern for my medical school colleauges as well.
http://lonecoyote11.blogspot.com/2008/03/you-are-what-you-eat.html

The funny thing is that I am not really that fat. Being big already (6'2" and medium build muscle-wise), an extra 20 pounds sort of disperses on you. I can still run 6 min miles, ski skin all day, and do 1.5 hrs of hot yoga with no trouble but I just got this extra layer! The other thing is that I actually eat well. I cook with my girlfriend and I avoid processed foods 99% of the time. I think what is really getting to me are the stress hormones, lack of sleep, and decreased excercise, not an excess of food.

So the plan. I will be 175 for summer so I feel lean and mean for getting right back on the mtn. bike and enjoying shirtless days. How? Well, coming from someone who was a veghead for 14 years, straightedge for 6, and an competitive athelete for 20, this is going to sound lamo, but I started slimfast. Mostly as an experiment. Yah, an experiment for my future obese clients, thats it. One shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and then a small dinner. The plan here is to simply reduce the number of calories I take in during one day. When I decided to try this after the 198 weigh in, I went to the grocery store so I would not let the lameness of the plan deter me. I asked the grocery store lady where they were as I could not find them for the life of me.

"Ummm. Excuse me mam? But, do you know where the slimfast shakes are? My mom wanted me to pick up a few cases for her. She is a little big."

So, off I went with 36 slim fast shakes (18 days worth) to start the medical school slimfast challenge. Amazingly, they sustain me for quite a while. I have one for breakfast and I am not hungry till lunch. I have one at lunch and I am hungry just before dinner! What do they put in these things? Crack? Nicotine? Meth? I dont care at this point. Lose the lb's and then I will be back to good food, just smaller portions.

The main thing I am missing is my glass of wine or 1-2 beers/night. BOOO! I know these are a classic useless calorie intake for me while I study but I love a little ETOH after sitting in class all day long.Ohh, well. Good to give that habit a break as well.

Weight in:
3-26 198
3-27 am:195, pm: 193
3-28 am:192, pm?

Yeah, loss of water weight and lower amount of food going through my bowels is what is going on here but hell, I will be into th 180s in no time.

Stay updated on the slimfast fat boy challege!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanted to leave my comment as the girlfriend who thinks her boyfriend is extremely hot and DOES NOT NEED SLIM FAST! Good god! Now I am eating alone and just wishing he slept more instead.

It's not often that men publish their concerns about their weight.

he's a stubborn guy.

7 years said...

I'm a progressive male.

emilie said...

David you need to go back to the grocerie store and tell customer service you brought home the wrong stuff "Slim Fast" and your mom is very mad and wants her money back.... :o(

Anonymous said...

Will you be bringing your slim fast shake to school tomorrow for lunch...cause I sure can't wait to make fun of you.
And, did you be sure to take a "before" picture so that you can post it along side of your "after" photo?
Oh, the fun we will have with this.

TKsports! said...

Wow.....TwoHundro!
Dude, you need to do more cardio to relieve that stress, like skin big peaks with me out west. When the hell are you coming back here, can't you "transfer" to a Colorado med school? Sounds like we're back in Foss dining hall having eating contests again, except your metabolism has dropped a couple points since then. That's what happens in dark, dreary Maine in the winter....eat, sleep, do work, and get depressed! Call me foooo!