Thursday, February 14, 2008

7

7 years: The theoretical length of time before I become a physician. And it all started with a broken mirror on the very first day. no shit. Made me wonder and it definitely exacerbated my skeptism surrounding the endeavor ahead which was already at an all time high after leaving a life of working and playing in the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming to return east and commit the next 7 years to medicine.
So, why the blog? Well, this is a sort of self experiment. My feelings around starting this challenge are skeptism, embarrassment, wonder, and preemptive apologies. Firstly, I am a bit skeptical of writing here because I already spend enough time in front of the computer with my new student lifestyle. 9-5 classes not including study time- why spend more time thinking, writing, or reading? Good question, me asks. Maybe I should take all the time I could potentially invest here and put it towards being outside. I could stop this right now. I may, in fact, do just that. Hence the skeptism and the experimental status of this blog.
Secondly, I feel a bit embarrassed because, by blogging, I assume that I have something new and exciting to say...and really, I don't. At least not yet. Maybe this process will flush something out. And this thought goes right along with the apologetic feelings and wonder. Why would I write? I have never spent time writing or enjoyed reading nor am I particularly good with grammar. So...my apologies to you and myself if this falls through or wastes either of our precious time.
I often preach to my girlfriend how the internet is failing society. A) I believe it often takes away from our local community and distances us from real life encounters. I imagine bloggers everywhere holed up in their rooms, writing, and mean while, not looking their neighbor, friends, or lover in the face. I berate facebook, myspace, etc. etc. because there are so many surface relationships of no meaning or context. You sign on, throw up your favorite drinking picture (no pun intended) and wait for your long lost high school acquaintances to "friend" you. I had a friend at school tell me that people in our own class of only a 100 people had been "friending" her on the internet, but that these same people failed to say hi or look at her while walking down the hallway. Interesting. B) Who needs more complexity? People can't even handle everyday life anymore. Anxiety, depression, hopelessness... Maybe you just need to get off the damn computer and away from the TV set and go for a walk, heh? Maybe, a deep breath. C.) (no, med students, this is not another multiple choice question, I am just listing here…) c. where is the family time? Parents can't even weigh in on what is healthy for their children to watch and communicate about anymore. Google: rotten. Utube: gun. Online chat, make sure you can't look the person in the eye while you write to them. No wonder our society is only getting more violent. WARNING: I will contradict myself a 100 times on here by posting utube videos. I already know it, does not mean I agree with it though ;)
So again, why am I here on this page? Well, I want to keep in touch with friends. Vent. Share ideas. Post interesting articles and pictures. All while not getting "friended". Am I contributing to the downfall of mankind by blogging instead of bongo-ing with the hippies down the street, probably so. Wait...this town has no hippies, damn.
I doubt my posts about medical school will be much different than those of the other 1000 medical students that whine about the process, but I will try and accept that.
A random first post, but there it is.
d

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally I am glad you started a blog David. I like to hear your thoughts, and as I and probably a lot of your friends know you are NOT the best long distance communicator....i.e. you hate the phone and never respond to e-mails!!!

I look forward to being a part of your medical school process. And yes computers suck, facebook is ridiculous and most definitely spend time with Elizabeth, your friends, mom-dad-danielle, your dogs or nature BEFORE writing on your blog BUT when you are in class and cant listen anymore or awake at 3:30 am after studying them write a little blurb about your day. We will all appreciate it!

Love you and miss you- Caroline