Friday, February 15, 2008

Force Feeding and the Toll

Man...

I have just been force feeding information down my throat since August. Besides Christmas break, I have not really let my guard down around school and studying at all and it wears on me. The school I am attending is heavy on class time so we spend most days in class from 8-5 or 8-3pm and then it is off to the races to try and learn as much as you can before bed at 1-2am.

It is crazy how much we are required to learn and assimilate in such a short period of time. Not really my style and I can only hope that I am retaining a 1/3 of it in the long run. Don't ask me all the muscles in the pelvic diaphragm please! In college I tended to opt for the 3 classes (w/labs) at a time gig and that was sweet because, by the end, you knew everything. People taking 5 classes in college always just skimmed the surface of what they were studying...but now, it is 6+ classes AND you need to know it all. Brutal man.

The first indicator that school was taking a toll on me was my hospitalization for atypical mycoplasmic pneumonia in October, towards the end of our intensive non-hold bards Anatomy course. It all started with intensely painful occipital headaches, an inability to sleep, and night sweats. When I went to the doctor he thought I could of had a brain bleed, so I got a head CT which was negative. Eventually, I ended up in the hospital ER with extreme dehydration, fatigue, and migraines and I was diagnosed with pneumonia after a chest x-ray.

I had never been sick before and during my 6 day hospitalization I got a good lesson in how much it sucks to be sick. To be a patient. To be stuck in the arms with needles during the middle of the night. To require hits of dilaudid so my brain would not explode. To poop blood (still don't know what was going on with that). And now to deal with the financial fallout...even with insurance (bastards) my bill is likely to exceed $11,000. Ummm. yeah. I got to admit, it was a great learning experience but I don't think I would do it again.

Even now my body feels transformed by this intense routine. Reduced power. Reduced immunity to sickness. Fatigue. Well, maybe just cause it is 12 am on a Saturday morning and I am reading about Fifth Disease but you get the point.

The lack of skiing is definitely weighing on me as I have spent a majority of my life on snow 100+ days/yr and the med school lifestyle is quite the change. No more PBR and powder.

Word to my homies getting the pow. I'll catch up with you in 7. d

No comments: