Thursday, September 11, 2008

Random Musings and News

I survived my 2nd of 3 neuro tests. It was the hardest test I have taken since entering medical school. The shear knowledge you need to acquire just to answer some of these questions is crazy. I have been in school just a month since second year started and I am deep in it. Battling it through and pushing myself...

As a younger lad, I was a competitive ski racer. I spent YEARS racing downhill in freezing conditions and training all winter and summer (glaciers) long to battle the elements, my mind, my competitors, the mountain....if I can contribute any of my success thus far in medical school to anything, it would be my 20 years competitive ski racing. I can deprive myself of sleep, battle through anxiety, endure physical and mental pain, and push myself when needed. I really can't imagine where I would be without these experiences.

In other news, I made one of my first financial contributions to a political candidate. After Obama lost 5-10 points this week, I decided to contribute to his campaign. I CANNOT sit here and watch as the autobot McCain and his useless bitch brainwash the country. America can be so stupid. I sure hope we can initiate some positive energy and progressive programs for environmental health, human health, jobs, and peace in the upcoming presidency. I just don't see an old, white male with 20 years of political experience in Washington and some extreme conservative vp doing any of these things.

I liked this video.



...not only for its substance but for its aura. Its passion. I don't think there is passion in the republican party. I think there is an agenda of fear. An agenda of maintaining a status quo. Its scary to think there are so many of us who want the world to freeze. For social progress to halt. I doubt McCain would campaign on a racist, anti-black platform in this day and age but I bet he would of 80 years ago. Also, I think the republicans will be backpeddling on social issues such as gay rights in 10 years. Soon it will be socially unacceptable and political suicide to speak of unequal marriage rights and to belong to chruches that oppress and kill.






I spent the evening with some friends who are heading to India for 2 years to do some powerful and amazing work. They will be working on PhD dissertations and working for think tank NGOs to help India and the world. Sometimes, actually all them time, I wish we had academics, social theorists, and/or philosophers running our countries instead of money bag rich kids and lawyers. It is no mystery that the rest of the world would love to see a conscientious, intellectual leader in the whitehouse. If we are going to live in a world with billions of other people, I believe we should value their opinions on this important presidential race as well.

I hit a mild depression tonight. Depression is a common word these days and I don't mean "depression" in your prozac commerical kind of way but as in a dip in the road kind of way. I felt down and I know the wine I had drank contributed. One good thing resulted though. Iron and Wine tixs. I was listening to this epic group and decided that it was time to throw down the cash to finally see them.
nov 15th. Mass. I will be there.
http://www.ironandwine.com/tour/




unlike real depression, there is a certain comfort in my ability to feel emotions such as sadness so intensely. Means I am not an autobot yet.

Lastly, throw some good vibes out to my bestest buddy, Pombe, my dog who will be in surgery in the morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn’t agree more with your belief that McCain would have run on a racist platform eighty years ago. I feel like I keep waiting for something awful to slip out in reference to Obama. Along those same lines, I am astounded at the religiously-justified gay bashing that abounds these days. What is it about some religious people that they feel they can pass the judgment of their god on other humans? Don’t their religious books indicate that only god can do that? I heard a Baptist minister from Alaska speaking on NPR this morning. He indicated that it would be a very bad idea to have a US leader, in charge of foreign policy and cross-cultural communication, who is critical and judgmental.

Walking into school today, I saw a maintenance man lowering the flag to half-mast. I stood for a moment, thinking about all the people who died seven years ago, the subsequent outpouring of global support, and then the US’s terribly misguided actions afterwards (And how many more people have died? http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/
http://www.iraqbodycount.org/)

I’ll end by throwing out some good bones to Pombe – may those ligaments/tendons heal quickly!

PGYx said...

1. Sending Pombe more good bones for tomorrow's surgery & a speedy recovery.

2. Sending you good vibes for the next neuro exam. I will feel some of your pain on tomorrow's OB/Gyn shelf exam & practical, but I hope neither of us feels much pain at all. :-)

3. Where'd you get that photo? Gives me chills & makes me feel sad people can be so judgmental. I have family in Alabama and haven't seen that sort of hatred from them or the people I know through them. At the very least, they try to observe the whole. "Let he who is without sin among us be the first to throw stones" approach, even when they may not understand understand things girls kissing girls. But that photo...yikes!

PGYx said...

P.S. What a sweet Dog! Love the pic. The dog lover in me is living vicariously through you.

7 years said...

Thanks for some of my first comments on my little 7 blog!

Jm-thats for your insights and thoughts.
cant wait to go to the fair and do the foot race. Dont feel bad when I school you though...!

MG-
Thanks for the pombe well wishes. Last minute the second surgeon we brought him to decided not to operate which is great financially, but I hope we will make a good recovery without the surgery. He has a tendon that got screwed up by a big cut last week.

In terms of the church picture. I got it somewhere (maybe drudge report) but here is one short article.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/17387922/detail.html

it was sort of big news last week.
The comment is in reference to katy perry's song which i personally think is super hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp9BKosZXs


lots like the church got a little backlash (ha fuckers!)

http://www.queerty.com/tag/havens-corners-church/

good luck on ob-gyn! I bet that is exciting stuff. Spent the night in the ER shadowing an attending who is a friend of mine. We got to tell a woman she was pregnant which was pretty cool.

peacy!

Anonymous said...

powerful,beautiful, living,bleeding, feeling words.

I deeply respect your fire for change, thanks for setting the fires around you, cause your light is shinnin' bright!